Bingham Academy (BA) in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia is seeking an experienced leader to serve as Director. The successful candidate will guide our school to achieve excellence in academic programs and Christian education. The goal of Bingham Academy is to prepare our students to impact the world for God’s glory.
Founded in 1946, BA is an International Christian, K-12 school with more than 300 students from over 35 countries. Approximately one-third of our students are Ethiopians, while the majority comes from families of missionaries and the international community. Bingham currently follows the Cambridge International Curriculum for both primary and secondary education. For more information about the school, visit www.binghamacademy.net .
In collaboration with the Bingham Academy Board (BAB) and a Leadership Team from the founding mission, the Director is responsible for shaping and implementing the strategic plan of the school, including capital development. BA is currently in a campus redevelopment phase which will add a new elementary building and estimated capital campaign of $1.2 million over the next 3 – 5 years. Additionally, the Director provides leadership for 120 expatriate and Ethiopian staff and is entrusted with the welfare of staff and students. The position requires outstanding interpersonal skills in order to communicate effectively with the primary stakeholders of the school.
Candidates for Director must demonstrate in their application how their faith, educational philosophy, leadership, and management skills would match our school’s mission, faith statement, and vision. BA is seeking a proven, effective school leader with at least a Bachelor’s degree in an education-related field. A Master’s Degree in School Administration, Christian Education or other relevant education such as coursework in Biblical foundations and theology or educational theory would be preferred. The candidate must have at least two successful years of school leadership experience, preferably in an international and/or multicultural setting. Candidates must be evangelical Christians in good standing with their local church and able to understand and interpret the Bible into a practical and applied worldview. Most importantly, the candidate should be a servant leader who has a vibrant walk with Jesus and can sustain this in a rigorous, international setting. Recommended qualifications also include exemplary English oral and written communication skills, strong relational capacity, and experience in strategic planning. Experience in school advancement and fund raising would be beneficial. The starting date for the position will be January 2018/19 and will last for a minimum 4-year term. The January start allows for overlap with the interim Director and the ability to attend language school.
BA expects the Director to be supported spiritually through a mission organization and home church. The school will provide a partial financial support package including: accommodation and utilities, free tuition for school-aged children attending BA, and a fund for professional development. The remainder of financial support will be raised by the candidate through his or her sending mission organization.
- Shape and implement a clear vision for excellent education in a Christian environment
- Work effectively and collaboratively with the Bingham Academy Board (BAB) and the leadership of SIM Ethiopia through the Policy Governance model
- Sustain a positive, energetic environment among stakeholders (faculty, staff, students, parents, missions)
- Coordinate strategic planning with the BAB and SIM Ethiopia
- Maintain high visibility while managing a complex organization through a leadership team
- Model a biblically-based lifestyle with accountability to the BAB
- Engage in ongoing personal, spiritual and professional development
OPERATIONAL PLANNING AND MANAGEMENT
- Oversee development of programs that represent goals set forth by the BAB and ensure student thriving and progress through effective and quality Christian education
- Ensure that a Biblical worldview is integrated into all levels of the curriculum
- Maintain standards of excellence based on current educational trends and research in compliance with our accreditation bodies: ACSI and MSA
- Provide for the spiritual formation of students through excellent programs and positive school culture
- Develop and implement a strategic staff recruitment and retention strategy
- Ensure opportunities for the ongoing evaluation, encouragement and professional development of staff
- Ensure holistic pastoral care for teachers and staff
- Engage faculty to lead spiritual development through the classroom, chapels and extracurricular activities
- Maintain relevant technology and information services for staff and students
- Ensure that crisis planning and child safety procedures are in place and regularly reviewed
COMMUNITY RELATIONS AND ADVOCACY
- Develop and sustain successful community relationships, integrating school vision and strategy
- Facilitate effective relationships within the BA community across culture, gender and age
- Promote and encourage student-family involvement in school activities
- Cultivate new relationships with strategic community groups (e.g. schools, missions, churches, businesses)
FINANCIAL PLANNING AND MANAGEMENT
- Construct an annual budget in collaboration with the BAB
- Develop a long-term strategy for improvement of services and ongoing sustainability of the school
- Ensure fundraising efforts related to capital projects
- Evangelical Christian with a strong commitment to Biblical truth and in good standing with their local church
- Faith and educational values and philosophy match the school’s mission, faith statement and vision
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in an education-related field
- Exemplary communication and networking/relational skills in order to work with diverse cultural backgrounds
- Skilled in strategic planning
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in school leadership
- Experience in a multi-cultural school setting
- Experience in institutional development and fundraising.
- Master’s degree in School Administration, Christian Education and/or additional relevant coursework in Biblical foundations, theology or educational theory
Formal appointment: The Director will be appointed as senior member of the faculty. The position is a minimum four-year, full-time appointment with annual reviews, reporting directly to the Bingham Board. Compensation: The Director must be a member in good standing of a reputable mission organization and have the support of that sending organization. There is a support package that meets some living and professional development expenses while the remainder will be raised by the candidate through the sending mission organization.
We are currently accepting online applications for this position at https://goo.gl/tH5PJi. Send cover letter and resume/CV via email to Jason Polk, Bingham Academy Board Chair at email@example.com. Closing dates for applications are: March 31, 2017 (Round One); May 15, 2017 (Round Two); and August 1, 2017 (Round Three).